How to Market Your Product on Google using SEO
In 2016, global e-commerce sales approached $2 trillion. By 2020, analysts anticipate a $4 trillion industry.
If you’ve got a product to sell, e-commerce is a great way to go. But to do it, you must be strategic. You need to know how to get more traffic and convert that traffic into paying customers.
Let’s explore how to market your product through SEO.
What is SEO?
The term SEO has been misused and abused over the years. This has led to some less than desirable results for those who didn’t use SEO the way it’s intended.
Understanding what SEO actually is will help you use it right.
SEO is a series of optimization strategies that help you become more visible in search engines.
This visibility is important because the site that shows up in the #1 position gets about 33% of the clicks. 17% goes to the runner-up. 11% to 3rd place. And then it’s a slippery slope into the abyss after that.
How to Become More Visible
To become more visible in search engines, a website must demonstrate that it offers the best answers to the queries of those on Google. You do this by:
- Being fast
- Being mobile friendly
- Having intuitive navigation
- Having sufficient & relevant content
- Providing the experience that a searcher is looking for
- Demonstrating to search engines that you are the best
- The last one is key among your strategies. Once your website is fully optimized to provide the right customer experience, you still need to be able to demonstrate to searches that you deserve that number one spot.
Let’s look at how to market your product by demonstrating this to search engines.
The days of the exact keyword match are a thing of the past. Search engines are much smarter.
At one time, if you typed “best restaurants in Austin”, the searches would actually return websites that had those words on the page. Now, search engines better understand that when you say this you’re looking for customer reviews.
The exact word match led people to create content that wasn’t very human readable.
If a lot of people were searching for “restaurants Tulsa”, websites would put this exact phrase on their website as many times as possible.
They did it to please search engines. There’s no grammatically correct way to put this in a sentence, by the way.
Keywords are still important though.
They help search engines understand what your page is about through context. Because of this, best practices include choosing a primary keyword that people search for and then complementing it with related keywords to give context.
This is called “LSI” (latent semantic indexing). In other words, you’re making pages make sense through context.
Competitor Keyword Analysis
Don’t be afraid to spy on your competitors!
To select keywords, you need to first do a competitor analysis. Your competitors are sites that are ranking high in searches that apply to your product. This will help you understand how to market your product in your specific niche.
Look at what words they’re ranking for. Write them down.
Evaluate their content. Do they have lots of videos? Do they have a huge blog? What kind of interactions do they appear to have from customers?
You’ll use this information to figure out how to market your product competitively.
Now that you have spied on the competition, it’s time to select the best keywords.
The words you want will meet the following criteria.
They’re long tail. This means that they’re 3-6 words long. They might be a question or a detailed description. The reason SEOs use long tail words is because they:
- Include several smaller keywords
- Are easier to rank for
- Can give you traction to rank for more competitive words
- The words should also be getting some traffic.
If you have a higher authority website, you can shoot for higher traffic words. If your website it lower authority, you should start with words getting at least 50-100 visitors/mo.
This will allow you to gain traction so you can tackle more competitive words. Without this traction, you’ll find out how to market your product to no one.
Keywords should be used on every page from homepage to product pages. Additionally, some of the top eCommerce companies regularly provide helpful content to their customers through blogs and videos.
This is how to market your product and make customers happy at the same time.
Some of the top content types for e-commerce include:
- “How to Use It” blog posts
- Product Showcases
- Holiday guides – even a small blog post about holiday outfit ideas can help
- User-generated content — videos of people using your product(s)
- Problem-solving blogs — Describe a common challenge. Your product is the solution
All of this content should be really top-notch. Skimping on the content budget can hurt your brand. Hire a content creator who understands how to educate, entertain and subtly influence to buy all at the same time.
Making Pages Easily Readable for Google & People
Part of how to market your product with SEO is making sure that this content is easily readable for both people and search engines. Let’s walk through some best practices for each.
Search Engine Readability
Search engines are getting smarter all the time. But they still need some help understand what’s on a page.
Have great content, but search engines don’t get it? Again, that’s how to market your product to no one.
Search engines won’t be able to give you the ranking in searches that you deserve.
To make your pages search engine readable:
- Use your primary keyword early on the page
- Use it several times (without stuffing) on the page
- Use it in a heading (H1, H2, H3, etc)
- Use complimentary keywords
- Don’t overuse the word (3-5 times in 500 words is about right)
- Transcribe videos because search engines can’t watch videos
For people, written content should be:
- Well written
- Grammatically correct, without spelling mistakes
- Understandable to your target audience
- Full of white space
- Visual (pictures, embedded tweets, gifs, etc.)
Showing That Others Respect You
In order to earn those top spots in searches, you must be able to demonstrate that people appreciate and respect your website. This is how to market your product to Google before you market to people.
What Google Needs to See
So we must ask ourselves, what do search engines like Google need to see that show that others respect you as an authority in your industry? Search engine algorithms that determine where you rank are built around this.
No one knows the exact algorithm except the search engine itself. But we do have some good ideas about what they’re looking at to determine this.
How Visitors React to Your Website
If visitors are visiting your site and leaving without clicking on anything, then they probably aren’t finding what they’re looking for. Or your website has a poor user experience.
Search engines look at how many people visit your site and how they interact with it to determine if people respect your site.
How the Industry Reacts to Your Site
Search engines also want to know how people in your industry see your site. These aren’t necessarily competitors.
If you sell jewelry, for example, it could be a jewelry polishing service, a celeb who wears your jewelry or a school that you’re running a fundraiser for.
Someone might do a review of your products. Or one of your pieces could be mentioned in news story. Good news, we hope.
If these people link to your site from theirs, search engines see this as a vote of confidence in your website and products. Because of this, part of how to market your product with SEO is getting links to your website.
SEOs call this “link juice”. You get more link juice from high authority sites that have pages that are somehow relevant to your site.
This is done in 2 primary ways:
- Create and distribute content that people want to link to naturally
- Collaboration & outreach to acquire links
Before you start trying to get links from random sites, you should know that there are two kinds of links. A website can choose to only give out “no follow links”. They do this to avoid people trying to spam their pages with links. No follow can provide “referral juice” but not link juice.
Or a website can give you a do follow link. This link gives your site link juice. The more link juice you get, the higher your own authority. The more your authority goes up, the higher your rankings will go up.
If you’re collaborating to acquire links you need to make sure they’re do follow.
How to Market Your Product with SEO
This is how to market your product on Google with SEO:
- Create a great user and customer experience on your site. Spy on the competition so you know what you need to do better.
- Put relevant, contextual keywords on your pages to help search engines understand what your page is about.
- Connect with others to get links back to your website.
Getting started with SEO is easy. You can do a lot to get moving in the right direction. But to get to that sweet spot takes time, especially if you don’t have the right tools.
Be patient. Or get professional assistance to see results more quickly.
To learn more about how I can help you use the power of SEO to market your product, browse my blog and sign up for one of my SEO packages. If you want to talk – just contact me anytime.
- 11 Easy Keyword Management Tips To Improve Your Search Results - January 23, 2018
- Best Landing Page Tools To Boost Your Traffic and Sales - December 15, 2017
- How to Find Profitable Keywords with Less Competition - December 5, 2017
- How to Get More Traffic to Your WordPress Blog - December 4, 2017
- How to Market Your Product on Google using SEO - November 28, 2017